Monday, April 18, 2016

Review: Inoherb Watery Sun-Block Gel

The Inoherb Watery Sun Block Gel is a basic sunscreen for everyday usage. It is not water or sweat resistant.

The Bottle

Product Information

English Name: Watery Sun-Block Gel
Chinese Name: 水盈清透防晒露

Price: ¥42 ($6.49 at the time of writing)
Weight: 50g

Ingredient list from CosDNA

Ingredients List

Sunscreen Information

UV Protectors
Octocrylene (All UVB, some UVA)
Titanium Dioxide (All UVB, substantial UVA)
Avobenzone (All UVA, some UVB)
Octinoxate (All UVB, some UVA)

Sunscreen Rating
UVB: SPF 30+
UVA: PA+++

Chinese regulations prevent sunscreens from being labeled above SPF30+ and PA+++. In this case, PA+++ indicates a PPD rating of more than 8, like in Korea.

Herbs: Skullcap aids in ultraviolet protection, prevents sunburns, tanning and aging. Chamomile soothes and conditions while reducing discomfort caused by UV rays. Licorice brightens the skin

Description: This product contains a variety of sun filtering and scattering ingredients that can effectively block and absorb UVA and UVB, preventing damage caused by the sun. Tanning and damage is prevented, keeping skin elastic and healthy.


Review

I ran out of my usual sunscreen, and I decided to buy this from a local supermarket. I chose this product out of a number of different ones available for the following reasons:
  • This sunscreen is of a good value
  • Samples were available so I could test it
  • It has the highest SPF and PA ratings allowed in China
Usually, after running out of a product, I would immediately buy a replacement, but Taobao hates me so my supply of Bioré Watery Gel was unavailable for less than ¥80. So I bought this.

This sunscreen has not disappointed me, and it is comparable to the ones endlessly raved about on the internet. Compared to the Bioré Watery Gel, it is much thicker, and it looks like a really thick sunscreen when it comes out of the bottle, but it applies really well, leaving only a minimal white cast that goes away almost immediately. It doesn't feel like much, or anything, and therefore it isn't 'intrusive' like American sunscreens.

The sunscreen on a spatula


The UV filters and blockers used in this sunscreen are adequate, although I personally am suspicious of Avobenzone due to its notorious instability. However, since it is stabilized here, I'm willing to let this pass, because not many Chinese sunscreens use better filters like the Tinosorbs or Uvinuls, which is strange because they are allowed here.

Finally, I looked around and I noticed that this Inoherb is often the only domestic supermarket brand that offers an SPF above 30 and a PA rating above a +++. This could simply be due to a poor availability in my area, but I looked on 一号店, and couldn't find many adequate sunscreens that weren't manufactured by Bioré, Sunplay, Loreal or Inoherb. However, sunscreens are being pushed into the marked rapidly, marked by a greater domestic selection, so it looks like this may change.

Buying Guide

Online Links


Physical Stores

Any large Chinese supermarket (Carrefour, Tesco, Walmart) or drugstore chain (Watsons, Mannings)

美容护肤!

No comments:

Post a Comment